Since the dog needs to detect the odor of the bed bugs, here are a few helpful hints to help the dog find them:
- At least ONE HOUR before the inspection, make sure all windows are closed and all fans and air conditioners are turned off.
- If there is a loose pet in the house such as a dog or cat, the pet must be removed or put away at the time of the inspection.
- Please put away all pet food or pet toys that may be around the home or apartment.
- Please put away any open food and sweep up any food that may be on the floor.
- Please remove any garbage bags that may contain food.
- Walk around your home pretending to have a dog with you. The dog can only inspect where it can smell. If the dog’s nose cannot get into an area, that area cannot be inspected properly. Please remove any excess clutter that may make it difficult for the dog to search blocked areas.
- Beds and couches are the most important areas to search. Please make sure the dog has the best possible access to them.
- The dog and handler MUST be able to work undistracted. No other people may be in the room at the time of the inspection. Once the inspection is finished and the dog put away, the handler will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
- Please let the handler know if any treatment has been done prior to the inspection as that can be harmful to the dog and it may be necessary to reschedule the inspection.
By following these hints you are giving the dog the best chance in finding the bed bugs. The dog and handler are here to help you so please help them give you the best search possible.